The best graduation gift 

 211205 Takato Watanabe


My artifact is a soccer ball with messages written by my juniors in school. Its color is white and black. The size of it is smaller than a human’s head. It is smooth to touch. There are many hexagons on the surface. The messages are written inside the hexagon.

   

On graduation day, I received a soccer ball with a message from my high school juniors on the ground. 

Then, I told the junior "do your best not to regret".

 He said, "I will do my best along with the feelings of my seniors."

 I was very glad to hear that. It is customary for juniors to do this to seniors every year. I was very happy when I received it. Each message brought back vivid memories of our club activities.  I started playing soccer when I was in the fourth grade of elementary school and continued until I was in the third grade of high school. So, I have been playing soccer for about nine years. The culmination of those nine years was going to be the tournament in my third year of high school. However, due to the effects of the coronavirus, the tournament was cancelled. I retired from club activities to concentrate on entrance exams. So, I don't have any memories of club activities in my senior year of high school. However, when I held this soccer ball in my hands, it brought back memories of my club activities in the first and second years of high school, and of soccer from elementary school to junior high school, and I felt glad that I had continued to play soccer. This soccer ball reminds me of my soccer life.


  My artifact story tells me two things. First, it is the importance of tradition. In my soccer club,  juniors give  a soccer ball with a message to their seniors at the graduation ceremony every year. This has been going on for at least 30 years. According to mundi, maintaining traditional culture is a way of preserving the climate and pride of a country, and it is also a way of communicating to the world the appeal of traditional culture that is unique to our country (mundi, 2018). I think it's better to preserve traditions as much as possible, because preserving traditions means preserving the uniqueness of the region.

 Second, it is important to work hard at something for a long time. Osamu Hayashi said that “  Those who can do their best for a month can do their best for a year. Those who can do their best for a year can do their best for ten years.” I hope that the fact that I have been playing soccer for about nine years will help me when I look for a job.



References

Mundi (2018)

伝統文化継承とは? その意義と課題 – Mundi







コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

Fried rice

Ramen

Movie